Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Keeping camera lenses "safe" on the cheap

Okay.... so anyone who has ever thought about going into photography seriously also finds out very quickly that it is NOT a hobby for those with limited cash flow.  And here I am, currently unemployed, trying to do just that.  I have gotten VERY resourceful in making sure I protect the valuable equipment I do have.  My camera bag which came with my Nikon D60 was too small as soon as a I got a second lens.  I knew I was going to be flying to San Diego soon and started looking at camera backpacks... also finding they are not cheap.  Went to TJMaxx (one of my fav. stores) and found a Sharper Image laptop backpack clearanced out for $12.  It had the neoprene padding already in it for the laptop but also had two other full sections for other materials.  I found a small neoprene zip bag ($7), actually meant for a netbook and used that to put my camera inside for additional protection.  Final concern was the lenses.  Knowing I'd be putting my backpack in overhead storage on a plane, I knew I wanted even more "cushion" for the lenses, just to be safe.  I find myself in Michael's (another favorite store for crafty me) and they had the foam can koozies on sale 2/$1.00.  And.... as luck would have it, I took the chance and bought two, brought them home and to my great glee, they fit snuggly and securely around my lenses to give them that added protection I wanted.  So.... for a total of less than $25 I was able to safely transport all my camera gear on a cross-country flight.  Sure, I'd love a fancy bag, but this one worked out just fine and still lets me take my camera along and not worry about it. 

Keep watching this blog for other inexpensive ideas and ways to save and still "play with the big boys" in the photography world.

2 comments:

  1. Smart idea, Thresa!
    I will add your blog to my google reader so I am updated when you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carol. I am a Meinecke, through-and-through, so whenever I can still get great results without spending much, I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete